How To Keep Your Home in The Villages Ant-Free!
March 15, 2022 - Ants
Though they’re one of the world’s most common pests, ants are the last creatures you'd want in your Village home. If you don’t find ant control solutions soon, the pests may multiply into a colony.
The Types Of Ants That Invade Properties In The Villages
Professional ant control near you will handle the following ant species most commonly found in The Villages:
- Argentine ants: Though these insects don’t bite, you should incorporate ant control in your house to prevent the formation of supercolonies. They originate from Argentina and are dark brown to black.
- Carpenter ants: Carpenter ants have multiple color variations that range between black, red, and yellow. These ants nest in your home's structural wood, and may bite to defend their territories.
- Pharaoh ants: Queen and male Pharaoh ants have wings and are dark red and black, respectively. Furthermore, the yellow-brown workers have brown abdomens. These insects have black eyes.
The Problems Ants Can Cause On Your Property
Ants pose numerous hazards. The first reason to seek ant pest control services near you is to prevent diseases. Ants may not transmit fungal or bacterial organisms, but they can bring diseases into your home from dumpsters and other unsanitary environments.
They can also consume your food and damage your house. Ants such as carpenter ants may destroy your building as they build their nests or tunnel through walls and doors. And don't forget about nasty ant bites; besides stinging humans, some of these pests can also attack your cats and dogs.
The Best Way To Protect Your Home From Ants
Effective ant control starts with maintaining proper hygiene. Cleaning dirty dishes ensures ants don’t have a food source. You can also sweep regularly to clear forgotten food crumbs. Also, don’t forget to wipe common surfaces like countertops; they may not find food scraps, but ants love sticky surfaces that form after spills.
Another ant pest control technique is sealing pet and human food containers. Similarly, block cracks around windows and home foundations to prevent pest entry. You can also disrupt ant trails to prevent the pests from advancing to your house.
Five Natural Ways To Keep Ants Away From Your Property
You don’t need pesticides to rid your property of these annoying insects. Here are five natural ant control solutions to keep ants away from your house.
- Use vinegar to clean. Vinegar smell is repulsive to ants. Another reason to use vinegar for ant control in your house is that it eliminates the scent that directs the insects around your home. You could mix water with white vinegar and wipe your countertops with the solution.
- Remove access points. One easy way to keep ants away is to make sure they can't enter your home. Examine the exterior of your home for cracks, gaps, and crevices where ants may enter, and seal them up with materials like caulk and weatherstripping.
- Keep all food stored properly. Besides making sure all of your food is sealed in airtight containers with tight-fitting lids, also remember not to leave pet food or dishes out, as ants will use tiny amounts of any kind of food for sustenance.
- Eliminate water sources. Ants will be drawn to areas with accessible water, so any leaks or drips should be addressed as soon as possible.
- Enlist professional help. Ants can enter your home even if you take preventive measures. By contacting ant pest control services near you, an ant invasion is stopped from the source. Professional ant pest control also eradicates other insects from your property.
If you're tired of seeing pests in your house and looking for specialized ant control near you, call us at Bertram Pest Solutions today for safe, effective ant control solutions.