What To Do About A Fire Ant Infestation On Your Property In The Villages
September 15, 2022 - Fire Ants
The Villages is a lovely over 55 adult community near Ocala, Florida. Its nickname is “Florida’s Friendliest Retirement Hometown.” This tight-knit community offers beautifully landscaped properties, shopping opportunities, recreational havens (including golf), and delicious food venues. Unfortunately, the peace and tranquility of this community get disrupted when fire ants show up. Without professional pest control in The Villages, this little slice of heaven suddenly becomes highly uncomfortable.
How To Identify A Fire Ant Infestation
Fire ant infestations in yards and homes can harm people and animals. Because of their highly aggressive behavior, property owners must watch for signs of a fire ant infestation to quickly remove them from their property.
Indications that you might have a fire an infestation include:
- Dome-shaped mounds of soil several inches high with flat tops and no opening in the center
- Witnessing hundreds of tiny reddish-brown ants (1/8 to 1/4 inches long) on or around mounds
- Experiencing an aggressive attack when fire ant mounds in yards are disturbed
Early detection of a fire ant problem can help head off more significant issues in the future. At the first signs of an infestation, it is best to call in the professionals at Bertram Pest Solutions.
Why Fire Ants Are Worse Than Other Ants
Fire ants in The Villages are bullies; they actively kick out other ant species native to the area. They negatively affect people, wildlife, pets, and livestock. Fire ants feed on insects and small animals, sometimes pushing local wildlife out of their habitat. Even your property’s electrical system, landscaping, and gardens aren’t safe when fire ants invade. Because they are highly aggressive, unsuspecting victims are often attacked quickly and en masse. Fire ant bites and stings can produce a burning and itching sensation, lasting up to three days. Some people develop pustules/blisters with a white fluid inside, which can cause secondary infections and scars from excessive itching. Those afflicted with allergies can experience nausea, chest pain, dizziness, and other reactions that can be life-threatening.
Dangerous fire ant removal is not a job you want to tackle yourself. Bertram Pest Solutions is vastly experienced in fire ant behavior, enabling us to formulate plans for safe and effective fire ant removal in The Villages.
Why Do-It-Yourself Fire Ant Control Fails
To remove fire ants on your property in The Villages, you must kill the queen – not an easy task! Property owners who choose to take matters into their own hands with DIY methods will most likely fail.
Five reasons why DIY solutions are ineffective against fire ants in The Villages include:
- Many DIY products need a direct application to mounds infested with highly aggressive insects. It’s never wise to disturb and agitate hundreds of stinging fire ants.
- Most over-the-counter products never reach where the queen lives (she is highly protected). Homegrown remedies like boiling water may eliminate a small percentage of fire ants, but many will survive and quickly relocate to other areas.
- “Natural” remedies like molasses, club soda, dish soap, and oils don’t work.
- Extreme measures like chlorine, ammonia, and fuels are dangerous to people’s health and the health of their groundwater and soil.
- Many DIY treatments give property owners a false sense of victory. Fire ants displaced from treated nests can be repopulated by new colonies later.
Ultimately, the best way to fight fire ant populations on your property is with the pest professionals at Bertram Pet Solutions. Our pest control solutions affect lasting protection from hardy fire ants.
Most Effective Way To Get Rid Of Fire Ant Infestation In Your Property
Using the pest professionals at Bertram Pest Solutions is the most effective way to fight fire ants. Our family-owned and operated company has over 20 years of experience, and our reliable, friendly technicians are experts in quality pest solutions. When you join our company, you become family, and we treat our family members right! Contact Bertram Pest Solutions today to request a free inspection and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in The Villages.