Let’s Sort Out The Facts About Spiders In Minneola
October 15, 2022 - Spiders
“That’s it; we’re moving!” “Burn this place to the ground!” For many people, this feels like a very reasonable reaction when they find spiders in their homes. The truth is that spiders have a bad but primarily undeserved reputation as scary and dangerous pests.
While spiders in Minneola may not be as dangerous as you think they are, they are still a mysterious pest that you should learn more about. Read on to get more information about spiders, dispel myths about these misunderstood pests, and learn how pest control in Minneola can help keep spiders out of your home.
Six Strange But True Spider Facts
Since most people in Minneola and across the United States are terrified of spiders, they don’t take much time to learn about them. Here are six strange facts about spiders that you probably didn’t know:
- Spiders live on every continent except Antarctica.
- Some spider species will eat their mates.
- Spiders work together to build large webs or trap their prey.
- Spider web silk is stronger than steel.
- The Goliath birdeater is the largest spider species in the world. It can be up to 11 inches wide.
- In ancient times, they used spider webs to stop bleeding; this worked due to the high levels of Vitamin K found in the webs.
Spiders are a fascinating pest. Taking the time to learn about them may help eliminate some of the fear you feel when you see them.
The Purpose Of Spider Webs
It is safe to say that most people in Minneola have dealt with the inconvenience of walking into a spider web. There's no worse feeling than having a web stuck across your face, in your hair, and all over your clothes. It can take forever to get it all off.
Spider webs are more than an annoyance for people; but they serve multiple purposes for spiders, including:
- Trapping insects for food
- Protection for the entrance to where spiders are hiding
- To cover and protect egg sacs
Some species also use their webs to travel from place to place, almost like a hot air balloon. If you take the time to look at them and avoid the inconvenience of walking through one, spider webs can be fascinating and beautiful.
Commonly Told Myths About Spiders In Minneola
Featured in horror movies and Halloween decorations, spiders have a bad reputation. Here are some of the common myths about spiders in our area:
- All Spiders are aggressive: Most spiders would prefer to hide and never interact with humans.
- Spiders have no purpose: Spiders catch many household pests like flies and mosquitoes.
- Spiders are insects: Spiders are arachnids, a separate family of pests more closely related to ticks, mites, and scorpions.
It turns out the more you learn about spiders, the less scary these pests become.
Total Spider Control For Minneola Homeowners
Even though you’ve learned that spiders aren’t as spooky, scary, or dangerous as you may have thought they were, you still don’t want these pests around your home. The best way to keep your home spider-free is with a home pest control plan from Bertram Pest Solutions.
One key to spider control is eliminating prey pests that attract spiders. A home pest control plan will quickly eliminate spiders, their webs, and other prey pests. For spider control and pest prevention you can count on, contact our trained technicians at Bertram Pest Solutions and let us get to work keeping your home pest-free.